My response to a course reading:
THE NATION: MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WEB
Lakshmi Chaudhry-January 11, 2007
This article was an interesting read for me as it brought out the “anti-Facebook” rage in me. Yes I am an anti-Facebook generation Y human being…believe it or not.
So here it goes…
The article begins with a quote from YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley; “Everyone, in the back of their mind wants to be a star”…..Very true indeed. The article does not hammer down “Facebook” with all its might (as I will begin to do just now…muhahahahahaha!) but rather it covers various networking sites such as YouTube and MySpace to name a couple. Chaudhry comments on how “web 2.0’s greatest successes have capitalised on our need to feel significant and admired and above all, to be seen”.
I totally agree!
And before i go on...here is an article explaining exactly why.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/student/student_life/article3152120.ece
“Fame is now reduced to its most basic ingredient: public attention”. And the attention doesn’t have to be positive either-farting to the tune of jingle bells will get you more than a million hits. Fame is no longer a perk of success but a necessary ingredient, whether a socialite, chef, scholar or skateboarder. When it is more important to be seen than to be talented it is hardly surprising that the less gifted among us are willing to fart our way into the spotlight.
Chaudry states that the fantasy of fame is not new, but what is extraordinary is the primacy of the desire, especially among young people. Our preoccupation with fame is at least partly explained by our immersion in a media saturated world.
Since a key component of narcissism is the need to be admired and be the centre of the attention, Generation ME’s attraction to fame is ultimately inevitable.
For now I’ll leave it here because I am pretty sleepy atm…however I will get back to complaining about “Facebook”-I have lots more to say! :P
View the online version of the full article at:
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070129/chaudry
Dear HN: I am not interested in your f*cking opinion
-
I’m increasingly annoyed by our commenting behavior on the web. There are
those that take the time and effort to share thoughts, opinions, services
and con...
14 years ago

Not delving into too much detail here, but it is a tad hypocritical of you to state that you are an anti-Facebook generation Y human being seeing that you are a blogger. In a previous blog- [http://afi-myrant.blogspot.com/2009/11/back-with-my-rage-against-facebook.html], you stated that people use it as a way of self-promotion.
ReplyDeleteIn essence, by posting a blog- you are essentially promoting yourself (well, your thoughts anyway) ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT BLOG WISE YOU DON’T HAVE A WORLD LIMIT UNLIKE A FACEBOOK STATUS WHERE YOU CAN'T RANT AS MUCH. Another difference between facebook and your blog would have to be the fact that THE WORLD is able to see your posts, however, with facebook, only those who you have accepted as a 'friend' are able to view your 'thoughts' and opinions.
I'll leave you with that thought..
Hey! Hey! Hey!
ReplyDeleteThis blog was strictly created on the grounds for my assignment.
You know that very well, so on what grounds are you attacking me exactly?