Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Back with my rage against FACEBOOK!




“The evolution of the internet has both mirrored and shaped the intense focus on self that is the hallmark of the post boomer generation” argues Chaudry (from Mirror, Mirror on the web). So eventually if you aren’t posting, you simply don’t exist!


Self-expression glides effortlessly into self promotion as we shape our online selves. Nothing beats good old-fashioned publicity even in the brave new world of digital media. For example, one could say that YouTube has become the virtual equivelant of Los Angeles, the destination for millions of celebrity aspirants.

It’s all about you. Me. And all the various forms of the first person Singular. TIMES’s Brian Williams says, “American’s have decided the most important person in their lives is…them, and the western culture in now built upon that idea”.

From my opinion, we have turned into a nation of egoists, uninterested in anything that falls outside our narrow frame of self-reference.

Facebook or no facebook…this has undoubtedly become a reality!

BTW i have actually found other "Anti-Facebook Rants"...WOW!

Check it out: 

http://gadgetopia.com/post/6248


http://kristy-ramblingsofamadwoman.blogspot.com/2009/10/facebook-mindless-and-corrupting-of.html

7 comments:

  1. ..and that’s just the WAY IT IS..

    Indeed facebook, myspace and other social networking sites are a way of self promotion, but then again they're also a tool used by many businesses. For instance, i own a retail store and I constantly update my status, letting my customers know what is in- thus promoting myself. This not only brings me in NEW customers- but makes the existing customers happy as they are aware of what i have to offer at that particular time.

    Therefore, is self-promotion THAT bad?

    I understand that the world does not need to know status updates that state: I'm Eating. I'm Tired. I'm Sick-

    BUT you can't stop it nor change it... so what are YOU going to do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said im out to stop or change facebook!

    I'm merely trying to get my point of view about this "addiction to facebook and the fame that comes with it" out in the open.

    I'm doing my bit by putting such thoughts (my anti-facebook thoughts) out there into society.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that social networking sites seem to be more about letting our inner narcissists run wild than they are with forming connections between friends, but I think that's got a lot do do with the fact that humans are all egotistical beings and always have been, long before the internet came into existence. Facebook just provides an outlet for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Facebook provides an outlet for what? To keep in contact with long lost friends, family or even acquaintances? MMM.. Yeah i thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...u let urself think that diim, whatever puts u to sleep at night. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this discussion really interesting and I believe I am apart of this 'anti-facebook' generation.
    I acknowledge that facebook is a way of fighting boredom and is a useful tool for sharing information and resource for communication, but facebook has a darkside. It deprives of the full extent of our expression, where we miss out on facial gestures and body language that is an important part of human connection and communication(i know this is ironic that i condemn the expression of facebook while i express myself on a virtual forum i am merely trying to point out this argument). I can't help but wonder and question if social networking like facebook will change the way of life to a point where it is unrecognisable, hindering our social interaction on an emotional and psychological level by which cutting us off from establishing real relationships with actual people and creating a world of false idealism...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fellow supporter of the 'anti-facebook' debate. Another thing that has put me off facebook is the fact that under the terms and conditions on facebook, any personal data you have put on their server, it is automatically their property and it is at their WILL to do what they want with it. This freaks me out I like my privacy!), and I think I am definitely not joining this facebook trap!

    ReplyDelete